Tuesday, June 9, 2009

SPREAD THAT SWEET, TACKY AND GUMMY SOUND OF COCOJAM!


There's no question, Cocojam indoctrinated us the basics of local roots, rock and reggae. With an assembly of pinoy rock legends a local reggae band has ever had, Cocojam truly is a musical powerhouse! The band line up includes: Rolly Maligad on vocals and guitar, Jun Lopito and Noli Aurillo on guitars, Edmund Fortuno (commonly known as "Bosyo") on drums, Rico Velez on bass and Ike Bernardino on keyboards.

I remember my college days as they play at Mayric's, (now named Sazi's). A small hot place where everyone rub against everyone else's sticky, sweaty bodies. With Rolly's voice having all the right qualities to deliver the message in exactly the right way, they literally shook the place. Mayric's was just very small then and most people still wonder how bands managed to tuck themselves in on that small corner stage. Those who have been lucky enough to witness Cocojam perform in the late 80's to mid-90s would agree with me with their unforgettable and magnetic musical mastery.


This album ("Lakambini") was released under Viva-RJ in 1992 and reaped an Awit Awards nomination for Best New Recording Group. I got my album copy on a cassete tape format then. And now luckily, I was able to connect my deck to my computer, rip the songs and convert it (and most of my 20-year old dusty music cassette tapes not available on Cd) to mp3 and for that, I raise my glass for being acquainted with the wonders of technology! Their second album simply titled "Cocojam" was released in 1996 under Neo Records. A compilation of all original songs with music and lyrics by Cocojam point man, Rolly Maligad.

Most of the Cocojam members have now moved on to other affairs of their own. Jun Lopito now has his own thing going and is widely hailed as one of the Philippines' best rock guitarists. (I remember one of my high school and college buddy Philip as a sessionist guitar player at Mayric's during those years and was lucky enough to play and jam with Jun Lopito on his regular gigs there). And so as Noli Aurillo, now playing solo jam nights with his jazzy guitar solo performances around the metro and still as sharp as ever in sweep picking. Edmund passed away in 2000, and Rico Velez no longer plays bass because it was said he was hindered by stroke.

It is literally very very hard to find a Cocojam album these days, and I believe this one will be listed together with all other classics thats been sadly out of print. But with this, let's spread that sweet, tacky and gummy sound of Cocojam!

Cheers and enjoy!




COCOJAM - LAKAMBINI

1. Dinamayan
2. Hangin At Tala
3. Ilaw
4. Gumulong Ng Gumulong
5. Palay
6. Ulap
7. Lakambini
8. Tagay
9. Batang Maynila

1 comment:

  1. lost my copy because of Ondoy. thanks much guys! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all who tuned-in. Feedbacks are very much welcome. and tell us what you think!